We have written a number of posts about resolutions for 2017. Making plans for the year to come is a good way to improve and to reach goals. The same can be said for learning a new language. If one of your resolutions is to learn English, then why not set yourself on the path to success? Create a learning plan that you can follow. Below are some ideas for plans and activities:
1. Before you begin, spend some time thinking about your motivation for learning English. Do you want to be at C1 level or do you want to be able to speak to people when you go on holiday? Do you need English for your job or for personal reasons? Once you are clear about what you want to achieve, you can start setting your goals. Set daily, weekly and monthly goals and make sure that they are achievable and realistic.
2. Make your plan visible by placing it up on the wall where you can see it at all times. Tick off things that you have completed and remember to reward yourself for achieving goals.
3. Commit to learning English every day. Practice makes perfect and this is especially so with learning English. Try and be realistic and make sure that you can have at least 15 to 20 undisturbed minutes a day, if you are learning on your own. If you are learning English abroad, then make sure that you make the most of your classes.
4. Make sure your goals are simple and achievable. You could set goals such as:
a. Read 5 pages a day.
b. Watch an episode of a series every day.
c. Learn 1 new word, with correct pronunciation and context, every day.
d. Speak English to a native speaker for 10 minutes each day.
5. I’ve mentioned before that fun is an essential part of learning and is a large part of keeping your energy and motivation going. Read in English about topics that interest you, watch English movies that you enjoy, practise speaking English with friends in social settings and write stories or essays about things that inspire and delight you.
Learning English, or any new language, is a worthwhile and rewarding endeavour. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and make it fun and enjoyable. Before you know it, you will be flying past your goals.