Have you ever thought about why some people learn English differently to other people? Or why some language learning activities and methods help you to learn better?
When in your lessons at your language school or doing English online courses, do you ever think what type of language learner you are? A good place to start is to ask yourself these questions:
· How do you like to learn?
· What activities do you like doing best in class?
· What are the best ways for you to learn and remember something?
When I was learning English, I always wondered why I never enjoyed doing things like writing down words and memorizing them or learning English grammar rules.
While I was in Cape Town studying a language course, I had a teacher who gave us vocabulary about food and health. Instead of giving us a list of words to learn and memorize, our English teacher told us to rank the words in order of healthiest to least healthy and then to discuss our diets and health preferences. This kind of English conversation activity helped me to remember the words and use them in a real life context.
There are three main types of learning styles namely Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic. Students with these styles learn in the following ways:
1. Visual learners enjoy reading and studying charts.
2. Auditory learners enjoy listening to lectures.
3. Kinesthetic learners enjoy experiential learning which means a total physical involvement with a learning situation.
A good teacher at your English language school will create a variety of activities for your lessons because they have to consider that there are many different types of students with different learning styles.
So what does that mean for you and how to learn English best?
Why don’t you empower yourself by discovering what your own learning style is? You can do the following tasks and ask yourself the following questions:
· Take a learner style test.
· Think about your favorite classes. What do they have in common?
· Do you prefer English discussions?
· Do you like pictures and visuals?
· Do you like to be doing things while learning?
When you have a better understanding of your learning style you can speak to your teacher. This will compliment your English language course and hopefully make you speak English better and quicker. Who doesn’t want to do that?