Here are some tips to help you improve your English vocabulary while studying English at the Oxford English Academy. Whether you are trying to strengthen or broaden your English vocabulary, the key is a commitment to regularly learning new words.
By expanding your knowledge and use of words you will be able to communicate more clearly and people will be able to understand you more easily.
Here are seven tips on how to improve your vocabulary and learn new words.
1. Read, read and read. As you read more, you will be exposed to more words. When you come across new words, first try and derive the meaning from the context of the sentence before looking up the meaning in a dictionary.
2. Keep a dictionary handy. When you uncover a new word, look it up in the dictionary to get both its meaning and its pronunciation. Next find similar words and even learn their opposites.
3. Use a journal. Another tip is to keep a list of the new words you discover so that you can refer back to the list and slowly make the words part of your everyday vocabulary.
4. Learn a word a day. If this sounds too rigid, try a word-a-week to start with and soon you will notice you are learning a new English word-a day!
5. Play some games. Word games will challenge your English vocabulary and help you discover new meanings and even new words, expanding your vocabulary. Play word games such as scrabble, crossword puzzles, word jumbles or boggle.
6. Engage in conversations. Simply talking to other people can help you learn and discover new words. As with reading, remember to jot down a new word you hear so that you can study it later.
7. Practice. Remember that you have to practice putting your new words into your writing and speaking. Use repetition exercises when you first learn a word, and you will be well on your way to expanding your English vocabulary.